As the leaves start to fall and a crisp chill fills the air, many of us face the never-ending dilemma: when should we turn on the heat in our homes? It’s a question that many homeowners ask. We want to keep warm and cozy during the colder months but also be mindful of our energy bills and the environment. So, how do we strike the perfect balance between comfort and conservation?
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the signs, tips, and strategies to determine the right time to fire up the furnace. By the time you finish reading, you’ll be well-equipped to make the most of your heating system while keeping the winter cold at bay.
Signs Your Home Needs Heating
It is not always about the calendar date; it is about understanding when your living space needs that extra warmth. Keep an eye out for these signs:
- If you or your family members are constantly reaching for extra blankets and shivering, it’s time to turn up the heat.
- When your houseplants start to wilt, it’s an indicator that the temperature may be too low.
- Walking on cold floors, even with socks on, clearly signifies that your space needs warming up.
- If you notice moisture or frost on your windows, it is a sign that the indoor temperature is too low.
Optimal Temperature Settings
Now that you have recognized the signs, knowing the temperature settings is essential. Ideally, it’s best to set your thermostat to a warmer temperature in the morning. This helps you start the day comfortably. Lower the temperature a bit when you’re away at work. Many recommend a setting between 65-70°F to save on energy costs. In the evening, raise the heat to your preferred comfort level for a cozy night. While you’re asleep, keeping the temperature a bit lower is often more energy-efficient, typically around 62-66°F. To learn more about the best temperatures to set your thermostat throughout the year, read our blog!
Energy-Efficient Heating Tips
To make the most of your heating system, consider these energy-efficient tips.
- Seal Drafts: Look your windows and doors for drafts and seal them to prevent warm air from escaping.
- Regular Maintenance: Keep your heating system in top shape with high regular maintenance to ensure it runs efficiently.
- Use a Programmable Thermostat: Install a programmable thermostat to automate temperature adjustments, saving energy when unnecessary.
- Zone Heating: Heat only the rooms you use most often, rather than the entire house, with zone heating.
Contact Absolute Energy Solutions for Home Efficiency Services, Rebates, & Incentives in Massachusetts
When it comes to optimizing your home’s heating, Absolute Energy Solutions is your trusted partner. Our expertise in energy-efficient heating solutions can help you maintain a comfortable and eco-friendly living space. From advanced thermostat systems to state-of-the-art insulation installation services, AES offers a range of products and services that align with your goals of staying warm while minimizing energy consumption. To learn more about our services, find out if you are eligible for Mass Save rebates, and schedule a no-cost assessment, visit our website or call us at 888-577-0944.
Real Clients, Real Stories
See what our satisfied customers have to say about our work! Have you worked with us before? We’d love if you Left Us A Review!
The entire experience was simple & straightforward! I would recommend them to anyone.
The initial inspection was easy to schedule, and the tech that came to our house was super informative. They quickly figured out how to fix our old drafty house to make sure we weren’t wasting money on our monthly heating bills. The bill went down the very next month – we couldn’t be happier!